Monday, December 7, 2009

Yummy Holiday Salad Anyone?


Some of the best recipes of mine come from those Pillsbury and Betty Crocker books that they sell at the check out stands at the grocery store. I can't help but pick some of them up when I'm checking out. I was asked to make a salad for my dad's birthday party and I had dog earred this salad because I was needing an excuse to make it. And I'm glad I did because it was so yummy. The dressing is what made it all come together. This salad would be great for any holiday party or your Christmas dinner.

Apple-Walnut Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette

Vinaigrette
1/2 cp. jellied cranberry sauce
1/4 cp. olive oil
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. grated orange peel
2 Tbs. white vinegar
2 Tbs. fresh orange peel
1/4 tsp. salt

Salad
1 head green leaf lettuce
2 medium apples, diced (squeeze a little orange juice on these to keep them from browning)
3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries (they're called Craisins at the store)
3/4 cp. cubed Brie Cheese (ok I LOVE Brie cheese - seriously - good stuff)
1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts

To toast walnut, turn oven on to 350 and then toast on cookie sheet for 6-10 minutes. Set aside. In blender, place all vinaigrette ingredients. Cover and blend for 15-20 seconds or until smooth. Pour into a air tight container and refrigerate up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature about 1 hour before serving.

In large bowl, stir together lettuce, apples, and cranberries. Divide salad evenly among 8 plates and top with Brie and walnuts. Drizzle vinaigrette to your liking and enjoy. Seriously, so good, and just typing this makes me want to make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment