As I mentioned two weeks ago, I had a little Aunt and Niece date. This is my niece Paige. She is as fun as it gets. We did a little shopping at TJ Maxx and we bought her a scarf that was black with peace signs on it. My latest fashion fad is wearing scarves with my t-shirts, over my denim jacket, or with any shirt really. Then we baked a yummy cake, ate pizza, watched Penelope and finished with a few rounds of mexican train. The recipes we did are below.
Smoked Beef Brisket - got this recipe from Jared's sister Kathleen
1 5-6 lb brisket
1 bottle of liquid smoke
salt and pepper
your favorite bbq sauce
In a large baking pan, place brisket and cover both sides with liquid smoke. Sprinkle both sides heavily with celery, onion, and garlic salt. Cover and soak overnight. Drain off liquid smoke and season with salt and pepper. Cover both sides with worcestershire sauce. Cover and bake at 275 for 5 hours. Uncover and top it off with 1 cup of your favorite bbq sauce. Bake another hour uncovered. Shred and then serve. Yummy!
Strawberry and White Chocolate Buttercream Cake
1 3/4 cup Betty Crocker SuperMoist butter recipe yellow cake mix
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp almond extract
4 oz white chocolate baking bars, chopped
2 Tbs butter, softened
1 cup whipping cream
1 Tbs almond extract
2 cups fresh chopped strawberries
1. Heat oven to 350. 325 for dark or nonstick pan. Generously spray bottom and side of 8 or 9 inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour.
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, 1/4 cup butter, almond extract and egg with electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
3. Bake as directed on box for 8 or 9 inch rounds. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely about 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, place white chocolate and 2 tablespoons of butter in small bowl. In 2 quart saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of the whipping cream just to boiling. Pour hot cream over white chocolate and butter; let stand until mixture is melted and smooth with stirred. Refrigerate chocolate mixture 1 hour, stir it occasionally, until cold.
5. In large bowl, beat remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream, the cold chocolate, and almond extract on high speed until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
6. Cut cake horizontally in half, using long sharp knife. On serving plate, place 1 layer, cut side up. Spread with 1/2 of the filling; top with 1/2 of strawberries. Add remaining cake layer, cute side down. Spread remaining filing over top of cake; top with remaining strawberries. Store covered in refrigerator.